Skip to content
  • News
  • Events
  • Travel
  • Best Bets
  • Local Culture
  • Home & Garden
  • Food & Bar
  • Sarasota Real Estate
  • Search OTS

Home » Blog » County Resignation Amid Storm Water Deficiencies

County Resignation Amid Storm Water Deficiencies

Posted on July 29, 2025 by Our Town Staff

 

Florida Trident and Suncoast Searchlight

Sarasota Assistant County Administrator Mark Cunningham resigned, becoming the highest-ranking official to step down in the wake of revelations about widespread failures in the county’s stormwater management system.

County officials did not disclose the reason for Cunningham’s resignation but said in an emailed statement that County Administrator Jonathan Lewis had accepted it.

“After 13 years of employment with Sarasota County Government, Cunningham will step down from his role on July 31,” the statement said. “County administration is reviewing the hiring process moving forward.”

Cunningham could not be reached for comment.

His departure, effective at the end of the month, follows mounting public scrutiny sparked by a joint investigation from the Florida Trident and Suncoast Searchlight, which found the county ignored repeated warnings, failed to maintain key flood-control infrastructure and allowed critical staff vacancies to go unfilled — all contributing to catastrophic flooding during the 2024 storm season.

The investigation also uncovered that longstanding infrastructure like Phillippi Creek had been neglected for decades, essential flood protocols were disregarded or forgotten and millions in stormwater assessment funds were left unused or diverted — despite clear recommendations from a county-funded consultant report intended to reform the system.

Sarasota County Administrator Jonathan Lewis during the 30-minute press conference Monday, June 30, 2025. | Photo by Derek Gilliam, Suncoast Searchlight

Cunningham, 60, was recently reassigned by Lewis to oversee stormwater operations alongside Public Works Director Spencer Anderson, who reports directly to Cunningham. Together, Cunningham and Anderson were the two top officials overseeing stormwater operations during the period when many of the failures occurred.

The resignation also comes just days after the Sarasota County Commission voted to create a standalone stormwater department that will report directly to the county administrator, part of a broader restructuring effort following public outcry. Ben Quartermaine, a former county stormwater engineering and operations manager, was hired to lead the new department and will start next month.

This isn’t the first time Cunningham considered leaving the county. He was a finalist for the Pasco County administrator job in 2017— an opportunity that arose around the same time Sarasota County announced it would hire then-North Port City Manager Jonathan Lewis to fill its top administrative post.

Cunningham has served as assistant county administrator since 2012 and brings more than 30 years of experience in city and county government. Before coming to Sarasota, he held senior planning and development roles as executive director of planning and development in Denton, Texas; Polk County, Florida; and several counties in Maryland, as well as Jacksonville, North Carolina, according to his county biography.

A former U.S. Marine, Cunningham served eight years as a combat engineer, including deployments during Operations Desert Storm and Desert Shield, his bio says. He holds a master’s degree in public administration with a focus in urban management from the University of Baltimore and a bachelor’s degree in public policy analysis from Sojourner Douglass College.

The departure marks a significant moment in the county’s evolving stormwater response and follows months of resident frustration and calls for accountability, focusing on Lewis and Anderson, but not Cunningham.

Posted in News

Post navigation

Previous: New Home Hidden Developer Fees
Next: Tom Knight County Budget up 56%
Featured Articles
Read More

Sarasota-Manatee Real Estate Report 2026

Sarasota newspaper, magazine, news, events:

Read More

Will Sarasota County Drop the Ball, Again, Or?

Sarasota newspaper/magazine news events: Edit

Read More

SMH Cardio Ranked Top 50 Nationwide

Sarasota Memorial Hospital Ranks Among Nation's 50 T

Beyond Research Supplements
Beyond Research Supplements
Beyond Research Supplements
Beyond Research Supplements
Beyond Research Supplements
Beyond Research Supplements
Beyond Research Supplements
Recent Posts
Will Sarasota County Drop the Ball, Again, Or?

February 6, 2026

SMH Cardio Ranked Top 50 Nationwide

February 4, 2026

Orioles Sarasota Spring Training

February 4, 2026

American Vintage Markets Sarasota – 80 exhibits

February 3, 2026

Categories

Featured 26

Food & Bar 2

Home & Garden 2

Local Culture & Lifestyle 78

More Stories 5

News 41

Primary Featured 5

Real Estate 13

Sarasota Events 22

Travel 9

Uncategorized 11

Beyond Research Supplements
Beyond Research Supplements
Beyond Research Supplements
SARASOTA WEATHER
Our Town Sarasota Logo

Info

  • Home
  • About
  • Search OTS
  • Search OTS
  • Sarasota Real Estate
  • Our Town Sarasota News
  • Home & Garden
  • Local Culture & Lifestyle
  • Sarasota Events
  • Food & Bar
  • Travel

Our Town Sarasota

Resources

  • Visit Our Facebook page
  • Siesta Key Live Camera

© 2026 https://ourtownsarasota.com | All Rights Reserved. | Privacy Policy & Terms | Website by Signal Interactive